According to the National Retail Foundation’s recent surveys, American consumers spend an average of $795.97 through the winter holidays. From shopping for gifts to paying higher energy bills, there’s no doubt the holiday season can break a budget. To ease that financial burden in your Denver, North Carolina, home, eliminate these energy wasters:
If you’re still hanging holiday lighting and decorations that use incandescent bulbs, it’s time to upgrade to LED lights. Consider this: it costs $0.27 to light a 6-foot-tree for 12 hours per day for 40 days with LED lights, compared to $10 if you use strands of incandescent lights. LED lights also last longer, helping you save on replacement costs.
- Use an automatic timer for even greater energy savings.
- Decorate with candles to reduce your reliance on electrical lighting sources.
Gathering around the dinner table for a feast with family and friends is fun. But preparing it can not only feel emotionally stressful but also strain your wallet. Follow these energy-saving cooking tips this holiday season:
- Use the oven light to check food instead of opening the door.
- Bake multiple dishes in the oven at the same time.
- Make sure your pan and stove burner’s size match to reduce energy loss.
- Cook dishes on the smallest appliance possible, especially when reheating food.
- Operate your dishwasher only when it’s full.
Without proper maintenance, your heating system can cause your utility bills to skyrocket through the holiday season. What’s more, you become susceptible to breakdowns that can result in expensive heater repairs.
In addition to investing in heating maintenance before the winter weather blows in, turn your thermostat down when entertaining guests. The guests’ body heat will offset the reduction in temperature. If you have a fireplace, use it to heat your home. Remember to close the flue to prevent heat from escaping through the fireplace when you aren’t using it.
To ensure your heating system is operating at maximum efficiency, contact Lakeside Heating & Air Conditioning at 704-208-4172. Our team of experienced service technicians will help you cut your energy consumption for lower bills.